Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin of the penis’s head.
It’s a painless operation for adults that can be performed with local anesthetic. It can also be performed under general anesthesia if desired or in children. Circumcision is a technique that can be done in a single day. Circumcision is one of the surgical operations that has been practiced since the dawn of time. There are numerous techniques for circumcision.
Most common reasons for recommending circumcision are:
- Hygiene reasons
- Recurrent infection of foreskin or for the Prevention of recurrent infection of head of penis (Balanoposthitis)
- Religious reasons
- Stuck foreskin or paraphimosis (medical emergency)
- Tears of foreskin
- Tight foreskin or phimosis
- This can result in recurring urine infections, which can be avoided with circumcision.
- Warts of foreskin
Road to recovery after circumcision:
- In most cases, individuals recover completely in 3 to 4 weeks.
- Patients can resume normal activities right away after the treatment, however we recommend that they rest for at least 1-2 days.
- Patients should avoid intense workouts, swimming, and competitive sports, among other things. Adults should avoid sex until the wound has healed.
- Urine passage will not be a concern and will be painless during the healing process.
Red flags to look out for after undergoing circumcision:
Contact us if you notice any of the following…
- Bleeding from wound
- Wound discomfort
- Wound infection